Fixed. Cut out the old pin, welded a bolt, fitted a bush. Add...

After this failure on my wife's BF Falcon gear selector, I decided it better to fix the design than just replace the parts with expensive factory replacements.



Fixed. Cut out the old pin, welded a bolt, fitted a sleeve. Add washers for effect.

Here's what I did:

I removed the selector arm, ground the back of the riveted pin with a flap disc, and punched the pin out. That left a hole.

I used a small diameter bolt and a 6.5mm OD sleeve to protect the plastic bush from the thread of the bolt.

I welded the head of the bolt to the arm on the back side so it won't ever move. I used a nut on the  as a spacer on the inside. Against the nut on the inside is the large mud flap washer, and the inside hole of that washer has a large enough diameter to fit over the sleeve such that it can rotate freely and minimise the rub wear on the plastic part.

The flogged out bush didn't quite fit over the 6.5mm sleeve, so I cleaned out the inside of the bush with a 6.5mm drill. It's very soft material so I did this by simply holding the drill bit in my hand, turning it with my fingers.

Outside the bush are two washers, the first has an inside diameter just big enough to fit over the sleeve and it's purpose is the same as the large mud flap washer... it can move freely and prevents rub wear. The second washer fits snug on the thread of the bolt. The nut is torqued up to the washer which in turn holds the sleeve tight. In this way, the plastic bush moves on the stationary sleeve. Nut has locktite applied for security.

Almost imperceptible in the picture is that the plastic cable-end does not line up directly at 90 degrees to the bolt, so the sleeve and bolt assembly is about 3mm longer than the hole in the bush to allow some angular tolerance and minimised rub wear.

This entire repair took me under 40 minutes to complete and cost me just some odds and sods from my gash drawer. Also, my wife now has an appreciation why I keep all this so-called junk.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you. Just had this happen to me today, fortunately in a carpark out of everyone's way. Thank God I carry overalls and electrical wire .... to limp home.
    Bush mechanics- on a 2008 FORD? No wonder they went broke.
    Will apply your idea.
    (PS: loved your professional pros and commentary.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A MAN after my own heart -sensible & simple solution

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the fix tips. I'll get under it in the morning and see if I can get it in gear to get home then I'll fix it in a similar manner to what you did. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. cheers, I will use this method as the cable tie wont last long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes me too have ties on mine but will do the same thing with the bolt and weld . It cheers

      Delete
  5. Nice one mate. I actually cut up old metal pen to act as a bushing over the bolt. A couple of washers either side with some grease over them and the bushing, and loctited the nut in place. Shifts beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work. I used this technique myself. Ford should have made it like this to start with!

    ReplyDelete