Welcome back... Time to catch up.

When this blog started, it was while I was trapped at my parents-in-law's place because of the floods meant we couldn't get home... way back in January 2001.

Well, here we are again. At my parents-in-law's place. Only this time we're not trapped here, we're just taking a holiday while in the process of moving house. Holidays are always a little difficult for me, it means time with the family but also time without access to a bike. Sounds trivial as I write it, but riding resets me. It doesn't matter what is going on around me, all I have to do is go for a ride and every part of me centres. If I don't ride for more than about two weeks 'things' start to build up.

The very last decent photo taken of the R1. It was written off about 5 minutes later.

Middle of November, (excuse me while I swear) some fucktard in a 4WD with a big alloy bullbar was on my side of the road on a blind corner. I managed to avoid a head on collision, but in escaping certain death I ended up running off the road. Onto the gravel. Gravel on an R1. Gravel beside a shear drop to certain death. Drop the bike or bike over a drop. The short of it is, the R1 is no more and I escaped with a broken collar bone, two broken ribs and a seriously busted knee. A further complication are the blood clots in my leg, meaning I'm now taking an anti-coagulant, also meaning no surgery until I'm clear of the blood clots.

Obligatory selfie from hospital

That was just under 6 weeks ago now.

  
The aftermath of washing out the front end in gravel

 Leather torn by the impact
There's a knee in there somewhere

The bike was written off. It was insured and I've been paid out. The finance on the bike has been finalised and with the left over change I was able to buy a good quality 2005 R6. While the R6 is the smallest bike I have owned for several years, it's still quick and I'm sure I can have some fun on it. Because of my injuries, I haven't been able to ride it yet. I had to get my mate to test drive it for me, but it is very clean.

New bike is pretty tidy

Anyway, I spent the last two years back at school. But school's out, so maybe I'll have more time to publish real stories to the blog... maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment